The tools that support this requirement support the timing and prioritization of deployment scheduling, including U.S. non-military and non-U.S. elements. The tools also include the logistics support planning and transport planning. The goal is to support a 6-8 hour turn around from a no-plan situation.
There is a need for user-friendly interfaces to permit experimentation with different schedules. The tools must not be just U.S. military oriented. They need to specifically address the inter- and intra-theater and intermodal seams and provide mobility network analysis. They should be able to infer supply needs once the force structure has been determined. The tool requirements are provided by the OOTW analysis tasks that they must support.
· Initiate appropriate reserve call-up, task # 4.1: Determine what reserves are needed and request call-up where appropriate. This task requires maintenance of information on immediate availability of reserves and availability of active service time.
· Determine deployment timing, task # 4.2: Determine the sequence of arrival by units required to accomplish the mission and provide security.
· Determine deployment priorities, task # 4.3: Determine deployment priorities to resolve bottlenecks.
· Determine transport capabilities, task # 4.4: Determine availabilities and capabilities of the transport resources needed to accomplish the mission, including any transport needed for other agencies, coalition partners, and NGOs/PVOs.
· Establish LOCs, task # 5.1: Establish the lines of communication.
· Perform logistics planning/resupply, task # 6.2: Provide adequate logistics and supply for all mission forces and to support humanitarian mission needs.
· Provide transport support, task # 6.3: Provide transportation support for mission forces, including appropriate NGOs/PVOs and media personnel.
These are decision support tools that display options and results. The Force Deployment Estimator (FDE) and JFAST models are candidates for enhancement. The priority is 1; modelability is rated as Green (G)-Yellow (Y); and the data availability is rated as Available (OK)-Expensive ($). The recommended action is to create these tools now.
The table below will be updated as information is posted on the bulletin board for each requirement.
Table 5. Force Planning: Scheduling Tools
OOTW Tool Home Page